Speech Contests Extended

Last night, as I did last year, I went to watch Mid Valley Toastmasters Club's Humorous Speech & Evaluation contests. I got there at 6.40pm and I thought I was the only one holding back my saliva while others were happily sipping their cup of tea when suddenly, I saw DTM Rohijas! He was there too. For the same reason as me I guess. Just to watch.

The reason I went there was actually to watch my good friend, Immediate Past AGW3 Loh Chia Hur putting up his show in the contests. The response from their contestants was super - they had 7 Humorous Speech contestants and 7 Evaluation contestants! My club only had 3 by 3, even then I was already shaking. Chia Hur's case is the same as mine. Making contests comeback after a 2-year technical hiatus (AG ma, cannot contest), going up against new talents, hoping to get one step further and go to Area.

In the end, he won both contests. Well done man, you can still speak. But what should not go unnoticed was how their club members were so eager to take part and improve themselves multiple-fold. I'm always a main advocator of joining contests. I think it's the real platform to test your true mark as a competent speaker. Giving speeches in club meetings is good practice. But taking part in contests, is the priceless "exam". You make it, and you "graduate" as a speech laureate.

Nevertheless what will never be forgotten - by me at least - is the "Hong Kong Dong" joke shared by a contestant. I'm going to share in our next club meeting, be it UEM Group or UEM Academy. Because seriously, it is - legen-dary....

Comments

Popular Posts